Sunday, March 25, 2012

Buzzmakers and Heartbreakers

As this TV-season comes to an end, I once again conclude I can hardly find new shows keeping my interest these days. No new Friday Night Lights to immediately grab my interest. No new The Big Bang Theory to make me laugh. No new Fringe to blow my mind. I'm not keeping too close tabs on pilots making buzz, but I can make lists about leading roles that would insure me grabbing hold of the first episode no matter the premise presented. I'll avoid those already doing airing shows with secure jobs for the involved, and I'll focus on actors and actresses with at least a past heavily influenced by TV rather than movies. Inspiring this lists is Amanda Peet's new show Bent, as ever since Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip I've been longing to see her do TV again.

Female



1. Eliza Dushku

She wouldn't have sprung to mind last year at this time, but after getting acquainted through the wonderful world of Whedon she's now a guarantee for my interest. Her Echo of Dollhouse and Faith of the Buffyverse, including both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, are the main sources of interest.There's just too much about her to do guest appearances at shows like The Big Bang Theory, White Collar and The League.

2. Amber Tamblyn

Her past from Joan of Arcadia and The Unusuals make me a sure target audience for whatever she decides to try on the silver screen.

3. Adrianne Palicki

Tyra Collette at Friday Night Lights, Wonder Woman in a pilot that didn't get picked up and all around assurance of my interest.

4. Maria Bello

After being busy in the world of movies, Maria returned to TV for the US remake of Prime Suspect. No wonder it got cancelled, but seeing her in TV again was great. I still remember her days at Mr. & Mrs. Smith fondly.

5. Yvonne Strahovski

Chuck has closed down the spy-life, and her Sarah Walker sure spiked my interest. Anything rolling out the red carpet for her return to my screen is sure to capture my attention.

6. Sophia Myles

Her stints at Moonlight and Spooks are more than enough to assure my interest, even if no-one else have ever heard of her.

7. Traylor Howard

Monk has closed down set a couple of years ago, and it's about time she gets back on the horse. Also a familiar face from her youth on Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place along with superstars Nathan Fillion and Ryan Reynolds.

8. Stacey Farber

From youngster at Degrassi: The Next Generation, I followed her to ended 18 to Life, so I've pretty much proved I'll follow everywhere.

9. Shiri Appleby

From the time back at Roswell, I'm still looking to pick up more. That's probably why I'll tune in when Dating Rules from My future Self airs soon.

10. Jessy Schram

So she's never held a leading role, bur her performances in Veronica Mars, Life and feature film  Unstoppable are more than enough for me to still hope she soon will.



Honorary. Amanda Bynes

If anybody lures her out of her early retirement to do comedy or at least something with a lot of wit, I'd love it. She would easily top my list if she didn't retire.

The in-ones:

A lot of the talent out there is obviously occupied with shows, and here are a few of the many actresses I'd follow if they jumped ship; Anna Torv (Fringe), Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory), Bethany Joy Galeotti (One Tree Hill), Poppy Montgomery (Unforgettable...a possible upcoming cancel), A.J. Cock (Criminal Minds), Amy Jo Johnson (Flashpoint), Emily VanCamp (Revenge), Emily Rose (Haven)

Male



1. Bradley Whitford

The Good Guys wasn't anything special, but Bradley had no problems making me get through all aired episodes. Looking back at his days on The West Wing and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip assures my interest in anything new with him in a leading role.

2. Kyle Chandler

Looking back at his amazingly consistent performances at Friday Night Lights, there's hopefully more TV to come than just movie roles like Super 8 from this guy.

3. James Marsters

After doing  Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm all for giving him a leading role carrying a show.

4. Adam Baldwin

After his stints on Firefly and Chuck, I'll follow him blindly into his next project.

5. Taylor Kitsch

The guy might be busy getting his movie career off ground, but his Friday Night Lights role as Tim Riggins is still too fresh to not hope for reappearance on the silver screen.

6. Jeremy Piven

He might have caught everybody with his Ari Gold on Entourage, but I was already captured way back when he did Cupid and had such chemistry with Paula Marshall.

7. Fran Kranz

Upon his great performance as Topher Brink at Dollhouse, I hope to see more from him on TV as he's now done with his Whedon reunion in feature film Cabin in the Woods.

8. Brett Butt

Excellent in Corner Gas. Hiccups was a big letdown, but it's cancelled and he's free to take on something new.

9. Stephen Root

While it's great to have him stop by every now and again on Justified, I'd rather have him back full time like he did back in the days as Jimmy James on NewsRadio.

10. Timothy Busfield

So. Maybe Aaron Sorkin and his guys are the only ones to see his talent, but I'd give his show a chance any day.

The in-ones


A lot of the talent out there is obviously occupied with shows, and here are a few of the many actors I'd follow if they jumped ship; Nathan Fillion (Castle), Joshua Jackson & John Noble (Fringe), Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory), Michael Weatherly (NCIS), Enrico Colantoni (Flashpoint)



There's enough examples of following actors and actresses that give me nightmares. Lets just hope none of the above listed ever turn into a show like...

House of Lies

I've followed Kristen Bell into many rabbit holes since her days as Veronica Mars. This is the last one out, and so far by far the worst of those.

I didn't spend too much time researching this, so there's obviously gonna be some who didn't spring to mind. TV-land is hugely populated, and there's just not enough megabytes in my brain to keep cued in on everything. So don't shoot me just because I forgot some actor or actress who feels obvious to you... Rather just shoot me a comment about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment