Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Community" (2009 ->)




Dan Harmon's Community is uneven. It tries so many different approaches, and it fails quite often. It makes it bold. It also makes quite a few episodes fillers, waiting for those touches of genius. Thankfully there's quite the payday when they hit. Because when they do hit, they are probably one of the very best comedies out there these days.

I watched three quarter of the first season back when this show arrived, but from the very funny beginning that season went downhill; and I walked away indefinitely. The past week I've played catch-up, watching it from the beginning to the mid-season break it's on now. I very much agree with my first impression of season 1; it started brilliantly, but became little else than passing time as it passed midway. At least this time I didn't throw in the towel.

Season 2 began pretty much as the first ended. It wasn't very funny, mostly just okay pastime. Somewhere along the way they began hitting home runs again on more regular basis, and it was once again great. The final double episode of the season is some of the best comedy I've seen in a while. For instance; I can't remember the last time The Big Bang Theory was that funny, and that's the show I've been following in the half hour comedy bracket.

Season 3 have been a huge disappointment thus far, and they better step it up as they come out of winter break this week. The final Christmas episode was however a glimpse of brilliance, but up until that one I was mostly bored with what they've delivered.

I'm fairly harsh on my stars for this show, but I got to punish their many missed steps along the way. Still. Keep in mind those episodes working well, is of the five star kind... And Community are in all three season close to grab that next star. That speaks volumes of the kind of comedy it is when they hit.

★★★☆☆ Season 1
★★★☆☆ Season 2
★☆☆☆☆ Season 3 (midway)



★★★☆☆ Overall Quality (thus far)

No comments:

Post a Comment