Thursday, April 12, 2012

"Bent" (2012 ->), season 1

Amanda Peet, David Walton and the kitchen up for remodeling


I guess that was the entire season for Bent; three airing days with two episodes each day. To me six episodes hardly is enough to be a season at all. To most shows even 13 seems like short seasons, but here we are. I have no idea how to interpret NBC's workings here, but I guess it would take real impressive ratings to overcome it and get renewed for a second season.

There's no doubt Amanda Peet was the reason I tuned in. I found here both adorable and talented in Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and have been awaiting her return to TV. The other lead, David Walton, was a new face to me. Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development) holds the third starring role, while support from Jesse Plemons (Friday Night Lights) is the final familiar face to me. Other supports include Margo Harshman, Joey King, Matt Letcher, J.B. Smoove and Pasha Lychnikoff.

A show about a single mother and how her kitchen remodeling contractor influence her life doesn't exactly sound like a long-runner. I know I haven't remodeled my kitchen lately, but it doesn't exactly scream four-five successful seasons. And it isn't really that funny either. Some decent jokes, but rarely without a two minute scene of bonding, decency or helpful suggestions to matters at hand. To me it doesn't really work on any level, neither comedy nor drama. It actually holds to much of the drama feel all together in my book, and I'll not be very upset when the inevitable cancellation is confirmed.

★★☆☆☆ Season 1

No comments:

Post a Comment