Monday, April 2, 2012

-Morning Glories-

I came late to the party, but Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the following drips of Angel and Dollhouse have also awakened an interest in comics again, as they've all had comics released and many of them with Whedon somewhat involved. I haven't read comics much the past twenty years, since I left behind The Phantom and Disney's Donald Duck. The one exception is Modesty Blaise, which I've read all along. As I've now fallen in love with the Buffyverse, I've had to invest in the comics as well. I'll be reading them in their released order once I begin, but for now I've tasted a little of other comics including those based on Whedon's Dollhouse.





The first comics returning me to the form are still unrelated to Whedon in any way, but somehow I've picked up the name Nick Spencer along the way. As a result I invested in the first two tradebacks collecting the first 12 issues of Morning Glories, each with six issues collected, written by Spencer, art by Joe Eisma and cover art by Rodin Esquejo.

It's as ambitious as any great TV-show you've ever or never watched, and has a certain Lost feel to it. We follow the six newest students at the Morning Glory Academy, a boarding school unlike anything you've ever attended. There's a lot going on behind the scene, and our new students early realize there's a lot wrong about this place. Spencer give us drips of information, but spreads it out over time. He still manages to keep it very interesting, where others often fail to do so when keeping their story going for a while, and I for one am hooked. I'll keep buying these tradebacks as they're released. Hopefully Spencer manages to keep the interest going.

Oh. I wouldn't be very surprised if this is the next comic to make adaptions into the TV-show format following the success of The Walking Dead. There's just a lot of great storytelling here, easily adaptable onto the silver screen.


★★★★☆ Volume 1
★★★★☆ Volume 2

No comments:

Post a Comment